It is crucial to look at this year’s technology with appropriate expectations. The pace of innovation every year is a challenge which is why, as you’ll notice the major changes will be rare and infrequent. Maybe, but without the new version that was Galaxy Note 21. Galaxy Note line in the S22 Ultra however, without the infamous “Note” brand name.
Although it is possible that they have become more boring (or less threatening for lack of better terms) in the past few decades, the flagship Samsung offerings are consistently good. This has lots of merit. Apple demonstrated that many times and again through its year-over-year incremental strategy. What’s new in S22 this year? S22 in 2018? In a nutshell before getting into the details it’s a new camera configuration as well as new chipsets. There’s also slightly lower battery capacity that Samsung phones promises to compensate for with better chipsets and display performance. The display on the plus and vanilla models are now slightly smaller however they promise certain technological advancements.
This Samsung Galaxy S22+ 5G is the subject of this specific review. When compared to the previous Galaxy S21+ with a little more detail, it’s been a little shorter, always a little wider, and just a little thinner and, at 195/196 g, it is also lighter. These two changes are related to the battery’s capacity dropping from 4,800 mAh and 4,500 mAh.
This time it’s the Samsung Galaxy S22 S22+ features 45W fast charging, which is up from the previous 25W. The display, though somewhat smaller, receives an impressive boost in brightness this year thanks the Samsung OLED innovation. Also, there’s the new camera setup , the main camera is now 50MP which has an increase of 23% in the sensor than the 12MP model from last year. There’s also a 10MP telephoto, which has an optical, not hybrid, 3x zoom. Ultrawide as well as selfie cameras were inherited from S21+. S21+.
Samsung Galaxy S22 5G Specification:
- Bodysize: 157.4×75.8×7.6mm (195g); Glass Front (Gorilla Glass Victus+) and back glass (Gorilla Glass Victus+) aluminum frame, IP68 water and dust resistant (up the maximum of 1.5m for 30 minutes), Armour aluminum frame with a stronger scratch and drop resistant (advertised).
- Display 6.60″ Dynamic AMOLED 2X, 120Hz HDR10+, 1750nits (peak) 1080x2340px resolution, 19.5:9 aspect ratio, 393ppi Display is always on.
- Chipset: Europe: Exynos 2200 (4 nm), Octa-core CPU (1×2.8 GHz Cortex-X2 & 3×2.50 GHz Cortex-A710 & 4×1.8 GHz Cortex-A510), Xclipse 920 GPU; Rest Of World: Qualcomm SM8450 Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 (4 nm), Octa-core CPU (1×3.00 GHz Cortex-X2 & 3×2.40 GHz Cortex-A710 & 4×1.70 GHz Cortex-A510), Adreno 730 GPU.
- Memory: 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM; UFS 3.1.
- OS/Software: Android 12, One UI 4.1.
- Camera in the rear: Broad (main): 50 MP, f/1.8, 24mm, 1/1.56″, 1.0um, Dual Pixel PDAF, OS; Telephoto 10MP, f/2.4 70mm 1/3.94″, 1.0um, OIS, PDAF 3x optical zoom Ultra-wide angle 12 MP, f/2.2 130mm 120@ 1/2.55″ 1.4um super-stylish video.
- Front camera: 10 MP, f/2.2, 26mm (wide), 1/3.24″, 1.22um, Dual Pixel PDAF.
- Videos captured: Camera in the rear 8K@24fps, 4K@30/60fps. 720p@960fps HDR10+, stereo audio rec. Gyro-EIS, stereo sound rec. Camera in front 4K@30/60fps. 1080p@30fps.
- Battery: 4500mAh; Fast charging 45W, USB Power Delivery 3.0, Fast Qi/PMA wireless charging 15W, Reverse wireless charging 4.5W.
- Unknown: Fingerprint reader (under display and ultrasonic); NFC; Samsung DeX, Samsung Wireless DeX (desktop experience support), Bixby natural language commands and dictation Samsung Pay (Visa, MasterCard certified) Ultra Wideband (UWB) support.
Another aspect Samsung has been doing extremely well in the last couple of Galaxy S generations is segmentation. The latest version, of course Samsung’s Ultra S22+ is in a class by itself, even though it’s not sporting the “Note” name. A comparison between the standard Galaxy S22 to the S22+ the main difference is size and of course, the price. The S22+ sports a significantly larger 6.6-inch display that is better-lit, which we’ll go over in the section on displays. Its body is in proportion to its size and has a bigger battery. The battery is now equipped with a 45W charging capability as we’ve already discussed. However, it hasn’t been demonstrated a massive practical benefit over Samsung’s 25W technology previously.
The S22Plus also has Ultra Wideband (UWB) support. In addition the two phones are nearly identical in and outside. It is a great thing to observe because all a user has to do is to choose a model or budget.From left to right: Galaxy S22 * S22+ *galaxy S22 Ultra 5G
In terms of price, Samsung has remained impressively constant on this aspect also. It is possible to check the pricing for the complete S22 lineup as well as the Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 here however the S22+ is priced at $1,000 (EUR1,050) or PS950 that is basically the initial S21plus MSRP. The same price isn’t an easy accomplishment considering the ongoing difficult supply chain and shortages of material in the technology industry in general.From left to right: Galaxy S22 * S22+ * S22 Ultra
That’s what you get with the S22 and in its simplest form. It’s an incrementally boring upgrade for some, an all-around solid flagship, with no unexpected costly surprises or price hikes for other models. The problem lies in the specifics. Keep following us as we go through these and discover what can make this Galaxy S22+ tick.
Unboxing Samsung Galaxy S22 5G
The process of unboxing and opening an Galaxy S22 is not much of an “experience” in the traditional sense. If you’re thinking about it, Samsung didn’t reverse its decision to remove a charger in the box that retails. It seems that the charger was removed completely in Samsung’s Galaxy S21 generation. The S22 family comes with a fairly compact, robust USB Type C to Type-C cable as well as an SIM Ejector, along with some mandatory documentation. That’s all there is. A package as bare as you can imagine and yet that’s the standard in the present.
On the other hand, however, there’s almost nothing unnecessary in the box. The slim and compact two-piece box is constructed from all recycled material and Samsung has reduced using plastics within the packaging to the extent that it can. The printing process is made using soy-based inks which makes this one of the most eco-friendly retail packaging available.